As a rapidly growing squadron we are always looking for new staff members to join the team! Being a member of staff is very rewarding with the Royal Air Force Air Cadets! whether you become a Civilian Instructor or a uniformed member of staff. Send us an email today to enquire!
Hello and welcome to the online home of 264 (Skipton) Squadron, Royal Air Force Air Cadets.
If you’re a fan of aviation, action and adventure, love sports and getting to know people then you’re in the right place. Every year nearly 60,000 air cadets and volunteer staff take part in exciting events all over the country. And with over 1,000 squadrons across the UK, you could be one of them.
Get out and get active. Cadet life is about learning through practical experience, especially in the great outdoors. Here are some examples of the things we do at the Skipton Air Cadets:
- Camping - Work on your survival skills and learn your strengths in a team.
- Easter/summer camps - As you advance in rank you can take part in these popular camps held at RAF stations around the UK.
- Overseas camps - Spend 10 days in Cyprus with fantastic weather, swimming, sailing, and maybe even see the Red Arrows practice their displays. Head to Germany where you'll visit a city or cemetery from the First and Second World Wars. You may even get to fly in helicopters - another exciting possibility for cadets.
- Adventure Training - A huge part of cadet training. We have two centres, at Windermere in the Lake District and Llanbedr in coastal Wales, both with stunning scenery. Rock climbing, abseiling, high-level hill walking, mountain-biking, canoeing, high rope work and sailing are all par for the course.
Get airborne. Flying is central to our purpose and your cadet experience. You'll have loads of opportunities to take to the skies:
- Gliding - There are fantastic opportunities to glide while you are a cadet, with the ultimate goal being a solo flight. Training is in three stages: a Gliding Induction Course (GIC), Gliding Scholarship (GS) and Advanced Gliding Training (AGT).
- Air Experience Flights - Feel the thrill of powered flight, with a fully qualified pilot to guide you through taking control of the aircraft yourself. Not only have the opportunity to learn about the flying controls but you’ll experience aerobatics and low level flying too.
- Air Cadet Pilot Scheme - The pinnacle of flying as a cadet, for advanced handling. Complete this successfully and you'll be awarded your cadet pilot wings. And if you do exceptionally well you could be recommended for further training which will help towards your Private Pilot's Licence.
- Air Cadet Pilot Navigation Training Scheme - A great opportunity to use your navigation skills, this two-week course where you fly for up to eight hours is open to selected cadets. Success will lead to you gaining your 'wings'.